What is Sports Therapy?
Sports Therapy is a healthcare profession governed by the Society of Sports Therapists. They are now required to pursue a Bachelor Degree and complete three years of degree education and hundreds of hours of competency training. They are trained primarily in musculoskeletal therapy and have extensive knowledge of human anatomy, physiology and pathology.
Sports therapists are trained in the assessment and diagnosis of injuries and pain syndromes affecting the musculoskeletal system. They have skills in hands-on therapies similar to those of a physiotherapist and at Core Body Clinic, work alongside physiotherapists. They have specific skills in exercise rehabilitation and soft tissue therapies.
Sports Therapists treat many conditions including: Back pain, knee pain, shoulder injury, osteoarthritis, neck injuries, whiplash, tendon pain.
They are governed by a code of conduct with a primary focus on the prevention of injury and the provision of rehabilitation to return a patient back to health after injury. They treat both sports and non-sports injuries and treat people of all ages and abilities.
Rachel Mealyer is our new Sports Therapist
As quoted from the Society of Sports Therapists website:
Members of The Society of Sports Therapists:
- Have reached a minimum benchmark level of knowledge and are eligible for membership status.
- Are eligible for Professional Liability Insurance.
- Are required to undertake an annual programme of mandatory Continued Professional Development (CPD) in order to maintain their right for re-registration.
- Hold a current and valid first aid qualification as a mandatory pre-requisite for membership.
- Are governed by standards of conduct and disciplinary procedures that are transparent and serve to protect not only the member but also the public with whom they come in contact.
- Are a member of an organisation that strives to increase the levels of care provided for sports and recreational participants, regardless of age, level and ability.
- Are members of a professional body that is working with the HCPC for the regulation and registration of the profession of Sports Therapy.
Email or Call the Clinic to find out if Sport Therapy is the right choice: